Sunday, August 11, 2013

"Well We're Movin' On Up!"

The theme song from the Jeffersons was sung in our suite in the Family Birthing Center a lot this morning.

We found out pretty early in the day we were getting discharged.  My labs were in and "vastly" improved from the day before.  It was time to cut the cord and send us back out into the world.  Nervous excitement filled the air as we found out just how easy it was going to be to leave.  Sign this, initial that, see ya!

Parting is such bittersweet sorrow.  We had spent ten days in the Family Birthing Center.  My meds were brought around the clock without question.  My giant 1000 ml water bottle was filled with ice water without abandon.  I knew that if I recorded my output, the nurse would record my input so my successful diuresing was documented.  Room service was a way of life.  Who was going to bring me my peanut butter cookie on demand?  As silly as it sounds, we were leaving our new family when we checked out of the hospital.  Remember, I was not in the emergency room.  We were the Morrisons in suite 157.

The nursing staff had become our family.  They were our friends and certainly our advocates.  Nurses who were with me the day I was wheeled into the O.R. came back to see me days later on their next shift just to check in and see how I was doing.   Nurses who helped in my greatest time of need did not even recognize me two days later and seemed surprised at how fast I recovered.  Even the housekeeping lady was sad we were leaving and brought me a treat in the form of a towel puppy in honor of our dogs.  We were going to be missed, and honestly we were going to miss them as well.

"Well we're movin' on up!  To the East side!"  Nervous giggles.

Colin is a die-hard Bend Westsider.  When shopping around for our first home, an East side address was not even considered.  I actually find many areas on the East side of Bend very lovely.  The mountain views enjoyed from the East side cannot be beat.  However, the idea that moving to the East side to be right next to the hospital is an upgrade right now is an amusing concept.

We are now residents of the Ronald McDonald House of Bend.  We live in room 2 and share a large common area that includes a big kitchen, play room, library, living rooms, and outdoor patio and playground with five other families.  We'll see how much we end up interacting with the other families, but I am hopeful we will find a common bond with the other people here in similar situations.

It is really quite astounding how fast life can change.   We are a NICU family.


No comments:

Post a Comment