Friday, August 16, 2013

Bath Time with Auntie Barbie

I was tempted to skip Jackson's 11 p.m. care time this evening.  I figured I could use some sleep to help increase my milk production.  I have been producing more than they expect from someone who had a cesarean AND a premie, but I am feeling some pressure to start producing more so I can keep up with my hungry little man.  There was one thing that compelled me to motivate myself and go to the late night care time.

Before we left after kangaroo care with daddy at 7 p.m., I saw her.

Auntie Barbie (AB).

Jackson has an Auntie Barbara of his own.  She is Jackson's late Great Grandfather's fiancee and happens to own the house next door to us.  This AB is a NICU nurse.  The NICU nurse.  This evening before we left I actually asked one of the daytime nurses if she could ask the charge nurse if AB could take care of room 8 and I wanted to see if we had gotten our way.

We had AB once before back when we enjoyed our own space in suite 10.  She is a sweet lady from South Africa (Jackson's AB also has an accent as she is from England) who had seemed to take extra-special care of Jackson overnight.  When I came in the following morning, she said in her lovely accent, "Jackson is delicious".  I did not care if she said it about every baby in the NICU, I loved her for it.  She is also a midwife and helped me with some lactation questions I had.  She said "boobies" a lot in her accent, which made me giggle.  AB suggested that that Jackson take notice of the pretty girl in suite 8 named Ruby.  She happens to be who he is roommates with now.  AB cared.

Ruby's mom and dad (our new NICU BFFs) had AB several times before.  They shared that she is a traveling nurse and did not find her provided accommodations suitable so she moved herself into a retirement home and pays for her room and board by volunteering there.  She is the person who made a scrapbook page, footprint and handprint page, and hung photos up in the room all for Ruby.  All the pretty signage hanging in our shared suite displaying special instructions for Ruby's preferred clothing and accessories was made by hand by AB.  Ruby ate best when left overnight with AB.  She was held in her parents absence.  She went above and beyond basic need care.  This is THE OVERNIGHT NURSE of the NICU.

I schlepped my tired butt to the NICU at 11 p.m. and was immediately elated at the scene I walked into.  AB was in suite 8 and it was apparent fun things were happening.  Ruby was about to take a bath and I was pretty excited to watch.  AB immediately started gushing about how big and strong Jackson had become.  She asked when his last bath was.  I was stunned.  "Never." I said.  "Well, we will have to fix that now, won't we?" she replied.

All I have been craving is to get my hands on my darling baby.  He really is "delicious" and completely irresistible, but we have to be careful not to overstimulate him because his nervous system is still developing.  This seemed like the perfect opportunity to finally get to handle him and touch his soft skin.  Boy was it!

AB guided me step-by-step as I gave my baby his first sponge bath.  He still has his umbilical cord piece attached so we can't put him in the tub just yet.  I was overjoyed as I gave Jackson a soapy rub down and completely infatuated with his goofy smile as he enjoyed his baby massage.  AB took over and showed me how to wash his hair for this first time but emphasized that next time I would do that part as well.  She also proceeded to give me a private lesson in how to pick up and handle my baby, including how to respect his soft spots without being too freaked out to wash his head.  She spent several minutes taking photos of me and Jackson.  She asked if anyone had done his handprint and footprint for us yet.  It was the most wonderful one-on-one baby coaching I have had yet.  I knew what was happening was special.  It was above and beyond the call of duty.  I was sad that Colin was not there.

Now we have a clean and presumably happy baby.  AB is in the NICU for the weekend and I am hoping that she can take care of room 8 for the duration of her shifts.  I certainly sleep better knowing he is in her care.  I think he does too.






2 comments:

  1. Those magic baby people are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally have figured out how to leave a comment!
    I've been here with you since it's beginning. I love feeling I'm apart of this journey with you "three". Love y'all xxxooo Lyn :)

    ReplyDelete