Sunday, August 18, 2013

Staycation

Central Oregonians are such fans of where we live we have a little phrase we use when we decide to vacation in our own town.  I am sure this phrase is used elsewhere, but I have never lived in a place where people dared stay in town for vacation before Bend.

We went on staycation this weekend.

What this means is we took a break from our new life and stayed home.  Usually, a Central Oregonian staycation involves a room or house in Sunriver, Seventh Mountain, Brasada Ranch, Eagle Crest, 5 Pine Lodge, or some resort or B&B.  All we needed for our staycation was our house and dogs.  It does not sound like much, but I have to tell you it was glorious.

For two nights we were "normal".  We slept in our king-size Tempurpedic, Sam was under the covers, and we were surrounded by all of our belongings.  My parents were kind enough to take care of our home for the past two weeks, so we did not have a bunch of housework to catch up on.  This allowed us time to go through the boxes of generous baby gifts we have received, get some recycling out of the house, and do a few chores that we left behind when we unexpectedly checked in to the hospital.  Otherwise, we were able to relax in our own home and do some things in town that make us feel normal.

Coincidentally, our staycation happened when Jackson needed a break.  I did go see him this morning and he was wide awake and doing great.  His doctor reassured me that what I was calling a "setback" was really only a "bump in the road".  He explained that a setback would take us backward, but we just encountered a bump and we are going to keep moving forward.  I felt really great about that and stayed a while to hold him with his pacifier while he was fed.  He settled into my arms, sucked away, and fell fast asleep in no time.  I held him in his swaddle rather than skin-to-skin and stared at his precious face for almost an hour.  I love those moments with him and I feel more and more connected to him every day.  Having a baby is incredibly special and I still can't imagine life before I met him.

Meanwhile, Colin got to be normal and golf.  I slept in and snuggled with Sam.  We got some ribs and slow-cooked them all day on the Traeger.  We got together with friends and went to Brewfest.  We had people over for dinner.  Other than a few trips to the NICU, we had a "normal" Saturday.  It was glorious.  I think it is what we needed so we can get through the next few weeks.  Also, perhaps Dakota and Sam don't feel so abandoned and uprooted now.

We had some fun this evening with some of our great new baby gear.  At least Colin had fun.  I am not sure Sam was too into it.
I got to stare at this face this morning.  He looks so different every day.  I am so in love with this little man!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that picture of Jackson is so cute!!! Glad you guys got a staycation. :)

    ReplyDelete