Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Lucky Ones

AKA: Complete Rookie Parents

Jackson had a febrile seizure on Monday night. Our pediatrician referred to it as the most terrifying, benign diagnosis there is. She is right on.

Around 10 p.m. I heard strange sounds coming from Jackson's room through the monitor. I can't exactly remember if it was a moan, grunt, or something else, but it wasn't a normal crying sound. Watching him on the camera, I could see his legs moving under the covers as if he was kicking them. Instinct alerted me that something wasn't right.

When I got to him there was a substantial amount of saliva in a pool on his pillow and bubbles were coming from his mouth. As I tried to move him, thinking he may vomit, he was completely limp. Lifeless. Couldn't even open his eyes and respond to me.

He was very hot to the touch, so I took his lifeless little body immediately to the tub, stripped him down, and started splashing cool water on his back. Colin called 911 because we had no idea what was going on and needed help ASAP.

The cool water brought him back to life. He started crying (finally, a normal response!) and I pulled him out of the tub and covered him with a towel. All I could do is hold him as he shivered uncontrollably, clenching my finger, crying. While I stayed relatively calm and in control, it still did not occur to me that he may simply have a fever and need some Tylenol.

After what seemed like an eternity, the paramedics arrived. His temperature was 102.6 at that point. After a quick check of his oxygen levels and blood sugar they diagnosed him with......a fever.

In my limited experience with first responders, I have found them to be extremely kind and empathetic. They never questioned why we called them or even asked why it did not occur to us that common knowledge states that a fever needs Tylenol. I felt grateful and extremely humbled at the same time.

To explain, I was grateful that they were not worried. Jackson had a fever and no other signs of life-threatening issues. We were not going on an ambulance ride. It was similar to my experience in the NICU: scary, but I knew everything was going to be okay.

I was humbled because despite his rough start to life, Jackson has been the picture of health. He has been to the doctor twice outside of his well baby checks. Both times he had an ear infection, but you would have never known because the kid is tough and doesn't complain. We have been so lucky thus far, perhaps we needed a little wake up call so we won't be in shock if Jackson's brother has more health issues than he has.

In the end, Jackson picked up a late summer virus and is likely on the road back to good health. A fever with no other symptoms is apparently common this time of year and every day his fever is getting lower and easier to manage. The doctor is confident that he is fine; no permanent damage done other than the flashbacks and lingering mental anguish experienced by me and Colin. Hopefully a full night's sleep is in our near future. And by the way, Jackson, thanks for waiting until the first week of school to get sick!

All of this being said, I feel like this has been another case of "Why does no one tell you this can happen?" So, for all the other rookie parents who may read this, here is some helpful information for you:

  • Tylenol is not proven to prevent febrile seizures. Apparently, even if I had given him Tylenol before bed Monday night, his body would have likely responded to the virus the same way.
  • Febrile seizures that last less than five minutes (five minutes!?!?) are more common than you would think and rarely cause any permanent damage. Your child's risk of epilepsy may be slightly elevated, but really only if it runs in the family. Otherwise, it is a "normal" immune response and your kid will likely either never have one again or grow out of having them.
  • The cool water on the back worked for Jackson. I am not sure if it works for everyone, every time, but it may be worth a try. Keep in mind, cool/lukewarm water, not cold water. If they start to shiver after cover them up. The shivering causes the body to work harder and can actually increase the temperature.
  • Viruses sometimes have no symptoms other than a fever. If your kid is perking back up after you bring the temperature down and every day they get better, you are likely dealing with a virus and things are going to be okay in a few days. If things get progressively worse, you are most likely dealing with a bacterial infection and need to seek medical care ASAP.
  • Febrile seizures are damn scary and I would not wish this on anyone. Holding your seemingly lifeless child in your arms is exactly as you would imagine if you have not experienced it. Terrifying. My advice, try to stay calm and bring the temperature down. 
  • When in doubt, call 911. That is what they are there for. Attractive paramedics in your bedroom while you are in your jammies is as embarrassing as it sounds, but it is not about you.
  • Cherish every day that your child is healthy and feeling well. Snuggle them as much as you can, in sickness and in health. Bacteria, viruses, and accidents are lurking around every corner, and all you can do is try to find a balance between protecting your child and letting life happen. 
Despite this scary little bump in the road, we are still the lucky ones. We have a happy, healthy, "normal" little boy. My heart crumbles for parents of sick children. I can't imagine how awful it would be to have a child with chronic and/or life-threatening illness. As a parent, all you want is to take the pain and sickness for them and you can't.

All I can hope is that when baby #2 arrives, we can still be the lucky ones. A sick boy makes for a sad mommy.


2 comments: